BIRCH ACRES DOG TRAINING CLUB
PERTAINING TO COMPLIANCE UNDER THE PROTECTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION ACT (POPIA)
Birch Acres Dog Training Club (“BADTC”) is a dog training club based in Kempton Park and is a “not for profit” club. KUSA affiliated clubs are deemed to be “private bodies” under the Protection of Personal Information Act (POPIA) and therefore required to take the necessary steps to become compliant under the Act.
This Policy describes our practices for collecting, using, protecting, disclosing, and disposing of personal data. It also describes the types of data that we may collect from you or that you may provide to us when you:
- Join or renew membership;
- Register for- or attend events we host
- Participate in our programs
Information Regulator South Africa
BADTC elects committee members to oversee the running of the club. These committee members are elected at the club’s Annual General Meeting (AGM) and will, at the first meeting after the AGM, appoint an information officer and a deputy information officer who will be registered with the Information Regulator as required.
Data we collect about you and how we collect it
We collect several types of personal data, including information by which you could be personally identified, such as your name, telephone number and email address, or other sensitive information that might identify you (“personal data”).
We collect data from the following people:
- Members of Birch Acres Dog Training Club
- People who participate in Birch Acres Dog Training Club’s shows and competitions
- People who participate in club events
We collect this data directly from you when you provide it to us.
Data you provide to us
We collect personal data you provide when you:
- Contact the Club to make an enquiry, including an enquiry about membership and dog training in general;
- Register for membership or apply for membership renewal online using Google Forms;
- Register for club events;
- Provide personal data on paper forms;
- Submit applications for dog shows and competitions.
Usage details, IP addresses, cookies, and other technologies
We do not collect data using cookies on our website.
How we use your personal data
We use the personal data about you that we collect or that you provide to us to:
- Perform our core training function, including fulfilling the club’s obligations to its members, such as:
- Communicating key messages through Club publications and other materials
- Complying with legal requirements.
Disclosure of your personal data
We may disclose the personal data that we collect or that you provide as described in this Policy to The Kennel Union of Southern Africa:
- Club representatives on the Provincial Council;
- Official KUSA show returns;
- Other KUSA events such as the Canine Good Citizen test information;
- The AGM attendance register.
We may also disclose your personal data:
- To comply with a court order, law, or legal process, or respond to a regulatory request;
- If we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property, or safety of members or participants in this club’s programs and events.
We will not sell nor disclose any personal data to any unrelated third party.
Disposing of your personal data
BADTC retains personal data identifying you for as long as required, for instance, as long as you are a member of the club or have a relationship with the club.
BADTC will retain your personal data for as long as you are a member and for a maximum of 3 years after your membership has lapsed, after which it will be deleted. Personal data that we no longer need will be disposed of and/or anonymised so you can no longer be identified from it.
Accessing and correcting your personal data
You may request access to your personal data, or ask for a correction or deletion, by e-mailing the club at firstname.lastname@example.org
We may not accommodate a request to change or delete data if we believe the change or deletion would violate any law or legal requirement or cause the data to be incorrect.
We do not knowingly collect personal data from or about minors without parental consent.
Whilst processing personal data, BADTC will endeavour to ensure that all appropriate technical and organisational measures are taken to ensure the data is held and transported securely. The measures shall include passwords for all electronic devices and encryption for electronic transportation.
BADTC may change, add, or remove portions of this Policy at any time. These modifications shall take effect immediately when it is updated and published on our website or Facebook page.
The date the Policy was last revised is noted at the bottom of the page. It is your responsibility to review this Policy for any changes.
If you have any questions about Birch Acres Dog Training Club’s privacy protection practices, please contact us at email@example.com .